The history of the Golden Belt Manufacturing Co
The Golden Belt Manufacturing Company was founded by Julian Shakespeare Carr in the early 1900’s as a textile factory that processed cotton into thread and produced pouches for Bull Durham tobacco.
Carr’s operation of Golden Belt was innovative and adaptive: as the demand for tobacco bags waned, the plant produced thread and cloth for other uses and printed packaging for cigarettes. Operations finally ceased in 1996.
The Factory has currently been redeveloped as a mix use development with art space, office space, residential lofts, and retail space. In 1985 as the anchor in the neighborhood the National Historic Registry listed the area as the Golden Belt Historic District.